Friday, November 11, 2011

Her Own Pace

Friday, November 11, 2011 11:50 pm

Please pardon last night's pause in updates.  Elizabeth and I needed to pause as precious Morgan has not had her best few days, yet we are at ease, at this moment.  Rather than create any alarm, we chose to not update the blog last night.  However, as I stated, we are comfortable with her status.

Morgan is working at her own pace.  Without pain medicine or steroids, we are now waiting on her lungs to develop to the point that she can leave the C-PAP in her wagon's dust.  While her wagon slowly creeps toward the "gold of the West," we are anxiously cheering her on. 

Morgan's dependence on oxygen has elevated, which caused great concern for her parents.  We have been so used to walking into her room and seeing low settings, that every increase has an alarming effect.  However, all it takes is a bit of learning from the careful, wonderful staff at UAB to allow our concerns to lessen. 

After last night's signals, we were worried that the hypertension in her little lungs had returned.  Today, an echo cardiogram was ordered to get a closer look at her lungs and heart.  As we anxiously awaited the technician to arrive, I found myself in my office unable to move or think.  I waited and waited.  Just prior to 5:00 pm, after I had shut my computer down and was on my way to the parking lot, Elizabeth called me with the wonderful news that there was little, to no, hypertension in Morgan's lungs.  I was relieved.  My shoulders dropped and the world returned to it's proper axis. 

This result is an indication that we are patiently waiting on our little girl to grow strong and develop new lung tissue that will help her to sustain life without assistance.  While the process is pain-stakingly slow, we are pleased that, for now, there is not a recurring hurdle in her way. 

Magnificent Morgan continues to gain weight and show great promise.  As I wrote in an earlier blog, she is noticeably larger.  She looks like a big ol' monster compared to her first day with us.  Her feedings continue to go well, each three hours.  She still hates her feeding tube, but we would be worried if she didn't! 

We left Morgan, tonight, as she rested settled, peaceful and calm.  We look forward to the morning to call and find out what mischief she got into tonight.  While her mischief may sound cute and cuddly, I am still trying to imagine the estrogen-filled house I will live in for the next 18 years.  Keep this meager father in your prayers, and let's hope that the construction of the Morgan's turret is completed soon (and that her hair never grows as long as Rapunzel's)! 

We, so, wish that we could invite all of you into her room.  She is such an adored angel.  Just the sight of her can light up your eyes, your soul and all desire to just squeeze her cherished cheeks.  We thank you all for your prayers. 

Seth and Elizabeth McCoin

No comments:

Post a Comment