Monday, November 14, 2011

C...C...C Ya' Later C-PAP!

Monday, November 14, 2011 10:00 pm

Magnificent Morgan had a fabulous day!  In fact, due to her recent progress, the doctor decided to remove the C-PAP and she started on nasal cannula.  This is a MONSTER step for our daughter, as she has taken so many, with many miles to go.  It's been an amazing day to see her doing so well.  As a parent, this has to be one of my happiest and proudest moments. 

I had "one of those days" at work and wasn't able to completely focus on what all was happening at the hospital, but as I was receiving my quick, elevator briefing, on the way to Morgan's room, I thought I heard Elizabeth say, "I wonder if she's in a crib?"  Trying hard not to ride the roller coaster through the ups and downs, I simply responded, "I hope she is, but let's not be upset if she isn't."  I, literally, knew that there was no way this child was going to be able to jump from the C-PAP and out of the incubator in the same day.  It would make for a great story and everyone needs dreams. 

We walked down the hall, signed in and propelled ourselves to Morgan's room.  I turned the corner, glanced toward Morgan and went straight for the sink to "wash up."  Standing at the sink, I paused, turned around and the incubator was gone.  It had been replaced with a crib...or as we call it, "a big-girl bed."  I was in utter shock.  This little booger had done it!  She made the jump I didn't think was possible!  She was in the nurse's arms being rocked as she was swaddled so tightly.  We were informed that she didn't want to be in her bed or in the swing, she just wanted to be held.  I couldn't believe my ears.  Words like "bed," "swing" and "constantly held" have been so foreign to me in relation to my thoughts of Morgan.  So what this means is that these people were telling me that I could walk into Morgan's room, simply reach into her crib and pick her up...whenever I want?  It is an absolute dream come true.  By this point, I don't even remember the nurse handing Morgan to me, I just know that she was in my arms and my smile was so big it hurt.  

We were so proud of our daughter.  We couldn't stop smiling, holding her or looking in her saucer-sized eyes.  I was totally mesmerized in the moment.  Her gigantic step was too much to soak in, but I can say it was just fun to hold her and watch her being held.  The moment was meaningful and we were absolutely giddy, as parents.  We made jokes, we laughed and Morgan just stayed in our arms as we passed her back and forth.  I forced myself to draw the line as Elizabeth told me to hold this little peach and do "the Heisman pose."  I did not think that Morgan would appreciate the thought of being displayed as a football in my arms when she earns her first win on the LPGA tour...

She is so precious.  Today is the first day she's worn clothes!  It's fun to see her little sleeves all rolled up, like her daddy's, her little pink stocking cap and her little legs poking out from the bottom of her white bed dress.  She was absolutely angelic.  Further, a dear friend stopped by with an overflowing bag of premie clothes from the time her child had spent in the NICU.  I'm pretty sure that Morgan has more clothes than I do now and we are so grateful!

I will stop rambling at this point and please forgive my joy as it flows through the keyboard.  We are so thankful and so excited.  What a day!  Elizabeth has been bouncing off the walls and I'm pretty sure she won't sleep a wink tonight...

Elizabeth and I are always remembering all of you.  We are so overwhelmed and in awe of how many lives our children have touched.  There's even a local hardware store that has, "GO MO GO," painted in pink letters on the window!  We could never repay any of this to any of you.

Please continue to pray for Morgan's progress and those, at UAB, that are helping her along the way.

Seth and Elizabeth McCoin

P.S.  Thank you Todd for painting the windows of your store, Huffstutler's Hardware, in Homewood!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, amazing! I love this update! Go Mo Go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the pic on FB and couldn't wait to read what you all had to say! Happy tears! We all are so thrilled for you!

    “I will praise You, O LORD, with my whole heart; I will tell of all Your marvelous works.” ~Ps. 9:1

    Love, Crystal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, Seth and Morgan, we are so happy for you. We can hardly wait to meet your precious little girl. We love you. Al and Jo Ann

    ReplyDelete