Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Overwhelming moment...

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 2:53 am

All of those seeking an update for our precious Morgan, please, scroll down, however, this writing is for Houston, who will always be a part of, what is, "Our Miracle Morgan."

Later today, I will be attending a football game between boys that are eight years old. My allegiance falls to, "The Raiders." The boy in mind is the second smallest player in his league, at a stout weight of 53 pounds. He plays every play of every game and he makes every movement with a force. He is an inspiration to all of us. He plays with fire and he means it.

I attended his first game with the notion that most of the kids playing on the field would shy away from the actual game and the physical attributes required, but this one child has stolen my heart and changed my perspective. Yes, he cries on the way to halftime if a bigger kid pushes him down, but he ALWAYS returns for the second half. He hits hard, he spits and he would cuss, if his parents would let him. He's a fighter, like Morgan, however, he pokes at my heart, more, for Houston. As I proceed, please keep in mind the Biblical reference that he provides for me, as our dear Houston did the same. This 53 pound monster has provided so much therapy for me that he, absolutely, deserves his credit due. I can't wait to see "Little Michael" take the field and, win or lose, simply make me smile.

The fight in this kid has reminded me so much of Houston's four days with us. Houston fought, scrapped and clawed for a second half he could never play. However, he provided an amazing lesson of hope and promise, in his defeat.

Excuse me for sharing an overwhelming story as Houston's father and I will, now, get to the point.

As you will see in Morgan's update, there is a referenced verse. I wanted to get it right, rather than relying upon memory. That said, I retreated from my downstairs office and made my way upstairs to retrieve my bible, from the bedside. Our dining room threshold could not be ten steps from my destination. In those steps, I was merely attempting to make sure that Morgan's bible reference was accurate, but as I crossed the threshold, Houston shot through me. I wondered if his gravestone should simply read his name and birth/death dates or if I should honor him with a reference from the fountain that sustains us.

As I entered our bedroom, I called for Elizabeth and asked her preference. I had no particular verse in mind, but wondered if we should choose one to place next to his name. If we chose to do so, I understood the magnitude and realized the importance, which applies pressure from the perspective of realizing that any verse, or reference, chosen for such a monument was permanent and never to be taken back.

Elizabeth retreated from her nightly proceedings to answer my call, "Elizabeth!" As she entered the room, I had already begun to open my bible before asking the question. As I, simply, asked if she would like a verse referenced on Houston's gravestone, the pages flopped open to a verse, already underlined. My curiosity forced my eyes upon a moment that will never be etched from my mind. While I was, initially, searching for James 1:12, the verse before me was Titus 2:2, which reads:

"Teach the older men to be temperate, worthy of respect, self-controlled, and sound in faith, in love and endurance."

WOW...wow. It was one of those moments that God, absolutely, took over. I will not be so repetitive as to re-portray my hopes and dreams for Houston, but I will tell you that I was completely floored by this moment.

As adults, we are able to learn so much from Houston and "Little Michael." While Michael is able to run and play a game so dear to my heart, Houston fought a battle, I or, none of us have known. It is an honor for me to hide my tears behind my sunglasses and watch Michael play a game My Houston never could...especially after this verse falling into my lap. It is absolute therapy.

Needless to say, Elizabeth and I are blessed and we are, both, finding ways to cope. With stories like this, how could anyone go wrong? We are constantly embraced and we feel so much love from all of those surrounding us, near and far.

I hope that this post is a simple reminder that if you keep your chin up and your head on a swivel...you will find the most amazing moments where you least expect them. We are doing that ourselves and our greatest wish is to share that with you. Remember that the greatest treasures can come in a 500 pound package, a 53 pound package or a 2 pound, 1 ounce package (embellished with a precious 1 pound 5 ounce [Morgan] package).

GO RAIDERS,

Seth McCoin

1 comment: