Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Steady, With an Inspired Daddy

Wednesday, February 8, 2012  10:00 PM

Morgan hasn't budged much today.  She's still holding her course and going at her pace.  Not to get too medical, but we are very used to checking in on Morgan and seeing, or hearing, "4.0 liters and 100%."  This is the steady setting of her nasal cannula.  It really hasn't fluctuated too terribly much for more than two weeks.  She's made significant improvements but seems to come right back to this point.  She will have small setbacks but, quickly, comes right back to this point.  Just as Rome was built, it is, "brick by brick my citizens, brick by brick." 

As a "results-driven" man, it is more than frustrating to not see a tangible or visible progression.  However, I'd like to share something with you all that has gotten me through the current day.

I'm a "quote guy."  I like quotes and I love the inspiration I can feel from the split second of realizing the true meaning of perspective.  Last night, as I was longing for distraction, I ran across a quote from Theodore Roosevelt.  I have worries and amazing decisions to make on a daily basis, as many of us do, but I couldn't imagine the situations facing the 26th President of our wonderful nation.  Most of us are inspired by the strength he portrayed when he said, "Speak softly and carry a big stick."  This is a pretty strong statement in our current world.  However, it was a massive statement in the world he lived in.  While pondering his role, I read another quote from him that read, "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on."  I can't tell you how pertinent this is and how it resonated with me.  So there was someone that portrayed great strength that got to the end of their rope, too?  It's encouraging to learn from our history.  While President Roosevelt was stamping his mark on our nation, he had no idea that he was inspiring meager ol' me. 

As many fathers do, I want to brag on my kids.  If you're reading this and you're in a tight spot, learn from the words of President Roosevelt, the four forceful days of Houston and the strength in every minute of Morgan's fight.  I'm so proud to place my kids in that sentence.  Maybe they're not in the same league, but you won't be able to convince me.  I share this because maybe, just maybe, one of you will be inspired by those three individuals, as I've been, by for that past twenty-four hours. 

All three of these McCoin's are going to keep fighting.  We don't like our battle, but we are proud.  We are proud of our helpers at UAB and we are graciously thankful for all of our prayer warriors.  We so wish we could reach out and touch each of you. 

Seth and Elizabeth McCoin

No comments:

Post a Comment