Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Wonderful News

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 10:30 pm

Our little rock star did it!  Morgan came off the C-PAP tonight.  We are so thrilled, but we are even more thrilled in the way it all took place. 

After a long night last night, Morgan did not show signs of being able to make the switch this morning.  At lunchtime, she was still fussing up a storm.  There was no consoling her.  She stayed on my mind all afternoon as I tried to get the smallest piece of tax work to completion.  I want her to do so well and it's so hard to watch her in any discomfort.  The sight of the prongs in her little, bloody nose stayed in my mind all day.  I wanted her to just get better.

I left the office later than I wanted to, but I knew that I had to at least get one thing done today (and I'll surely finish it in the morning).  After I left, we grabbed a quick bite to eat and then it was off to the hospital.  We couldn't stand the waiting as we talked to our wonderful nurses and waited for the doctor to "round."  When the minutes had passed and the doctor arrived at her bedside, Morgan's nurse began to explain how uncomfortable Morgan had been and that her breathing had been steady enough to retreat from the C-PAP.  The doctor agreed and before he had even left the room, the respiratory therapist had been called to bring in the equipment for the nasal cannula..."now." 

Sweet Morgan fussed all the way through the transition and my thoughts ran wild, tempering my excitement.  The process was finally at it's end and you would not believe how calm this precious child became.  Her eyes opened, she stopped crying, her daddy melted and, I promise, the world began to spin more evenly on it's axis.  The immediate change in her disposition was emotional to watch.  The sounds in the room changed from lullabies drowned out with cries to lullabies occasionally broken up with her little "piggy snorts."  It was a great moment to be her father. 

We will continue to pray for her improvement.  She will take her meals from a feeding tube for a few days to allow her some rest.  We pray that when the bottle feedings resume, she will soar like a cute, tiny rocket.  Further, we will continue to pray for those at UAB that are so wonderful at what they do.  I've told many people that I can't imagine the hearts that lie inside of these great folks to be able to work in the NICU.  To be able to love these babies and to comfort the parents takes so much and we are so thankful for each individual, at St. Vincent's and UAB, that have heeded their calling so well.

I love writing these types of updates.  I love my daughter so much.  I just can't tell you what it feels like to watch her navigate through this.  It is nothing short of inspiring. 

Seth and Elizabeth McCoin

p.s.  Morgan crossed the 6 pound mark today.  6 lbs, 2 oz.  She's gettin' a little chunky and I love it!

1 comment: